Monday, August 1, 2011

Pound cake

Over the past year or so, I have discovered that wheat or rather gluten bothers me.  This is not some personal crusade that I decided to embark on nor is it a product of my locale, Seattle WA.  A few years ago my father was diagnosed with celiac disease and of course recommended that all of us kids get tested for it.  


It turned out that although I don't suffer from my fathers intense sensitivity to gluten, it does effect me.  I feel much better when I don't have products containing gluten and notice subtle changes when I do.  This has caused me to considerably reduce the amount of gluten products I consume and I basically limit myself to something small occasionally, once or twice a week.


The point here is that I missed breads.  From dense pumpernickel to a light croissant, I adore bread and all that it encompasses.  I have tried several 'gluten-free' bread and no dice.  Just not the same, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They are close and I appreciate the effort made, but it is by definition not the same, period.

On top of my fondness for bread, I have tea every morning and with that there is nothing like a biscuit or some pastry to make a solid breakfast. In an effort to solve this biscuit\pastry dilemma, I tried something last night that has turned out wonderful.  I made a traditional pound cake.  Not just traditional, 1:1:1:1 ratio mind you, I made it all with a wooden spoon, no mixer for me.   The result of this was a wonderfully dense, sweet, and gluten free pound cake that accompanied my morning tea.  I once again state that it is still not the same without the wheat flour, but it is close enough.

Pound cake (gluten free)
Ingredients:
  1. 1 lbs unsalted butter
  2. 1 lbs eggs (8)
  3. 1 lbs sugar
  4. 14 oz (by weight) brown rice flour
  5. 2 oz (by weight) tapioca flour
Instructions:
  1. Leave butter out to get soft for about 30 minutes
  2. Mix butter and sugar in large bowl till the consistency of a smooth milkshake
  3. Mix in eggs (1 at a time)
  4. Preheat oven to 350F
  5. Combine brown rice and tapioca flour
  6. Mix in flour mixture (1/3 at a time)
  7. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans
  8. Pour 2 lbs of batter into 1 of the pans
  9. Pour the remaining batter into the other pan
  10. Bake for 1 hr. Internal temperature should reach no more than 210F
  11. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
  12. Remove from pans and let cool for another 10 minutes
The resulting pound cake is sinful in the amount of fat and sugar, but it is a wonderful treat and allows me to have a decent warm breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment